Sunday, May 4, 2008

A Little Background...

I'm probably about 7 years old (I found Jenny & James when I was a stray in September 2002). I've always been a healthy cat with no medical problems (not even fleas).

At the end of last summer, Jenny & James noticed that I seemed to be losing weight. I've always been petite, with my highest weight being 6 lbs. and change. But I seemed skinnier than usual to them. They took me to Dr. Burns, my regular vet, who confirmed I had lost a little weight (less than half a pound), but couldn’t find anything wrong. All my bloodwork was normal at that time. Dr. Burns did a dental cleaning in case I had a bum tooth that was making me not want to eat, but my teeth looked fine.

Fast-forward to the end of March. Jenny & James noticed that I didn't seem to be eating that much again, and perhaps I was drinking more than usual and acting a little lethargic. They tempted me with all kinds of canned foods, but I wasn't interested (I must say, though, that I've never been a robust eater of canned food – usually I lick up the gravy or goo and leave the chunks or shreds of meat behind, and I've done this ever since anyone can remember).

Back at the vet, they did bloodwork again. My thyroid was fine but they found elevated BUN and creatinine levels, high enough that Jenny & James brought me back to stay at the vet’s office for a week on IV fluids. They also found a little blood when they tested my urine, so I was on an antibiotic. They did a few x-rays, which were mainly inconclusive because I'm so skinny that it was hard for them to get a clear film, but they thought I might have a kidney stone or two.

This was kind of a scary time for Jenny & James, who didn't know if I was just having a bad episode, or would maybe end up having chronic kidney disease. They visited me at the vet, where I was busy trying to shake the d*** IV out of my leg and drooping around in my e-collar, but I was glad to see them.

When my kidney levels were closer to normal (after a week), I came home. I seemed about the same as before (not that interested in eating, etc.). At my follow-up appointment two weeks later, my levels were high again and the vet recommended that Jenny & James make an appointment for me at MedVet, central Ohio’s specialty & emergency animal hospital.

Jenny & James were just about to leave on a much-anticipated "big vacation" to the Southwest. After consulting with Dr. Burns, they decided to go ahead with the trip. They made an appointment for me at MedVet the day after they got back, and I stayed at Dr. Burns' office while they were away so she could keep an eye on me. This time they brought my cuddle cup (bed) and I didn't need an IV even though they did give me subcutaneous (SQ) fluids.

No comments: