Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Day 6

Tuesday, May 6

(Jenny is guest-writing this post for Kitty)

I slept on the couch all night and half-listened to Bucky the whole time. We went out at 5 a.m. or so, and it was raining a little so he just peed and we came back in. I called and canceled his appointment with Dr. Burns because he seemed OK, but I went in to work late anyway (I snoozed on the couch for most of the morning). I took Bucky out again at 9:30, and we walked all over & I thought he was going to poop, but he didn't.

He did take his antibiotic without too much fuss. I put down about a third of a can of dog food right after I gave it to him, but he wasn't interested - he did take a drink, though. Before I left I noticed he had eaten about half of the food I gave him and he did eat the Quacker (strip of dried duck breast) I gave him (he gets one every morning when I come downstairs after my shower)!

A tech called me this morning to say that the blood work shows that Kitty's kidney levels are elevated again, and so's her white blood cell count, so maybe she now has a kidney infection. She threw up and had a little diarrhea around 3 a.m. after they gave her an enema (!). They did insert an IV to keep her hydrated, and they're of course continuing her antibiotic. They're going to start a urine culture (which takes 3 days), take her blood pressure again, and keep her at least one more night.

After work I went to MedVet to visit Kitty. First Dr. Forman talked to me about her symptoms. At this point it's just wait and see. In addition to the antibiotic, they're also giving her an acid reducer (the same medicine that's in Pepcid) and an anti-nausea drug. He told me he would like to do more blood work tomorrow, and possibly a second ultrasound or even a (minimally invasive) kidney biopsy to try to discover what exactly is wrong with her. I'm very glad James is coming home tomorrow night and we won't have to make any major decisions while he's in New Jersey.

Then they brought Kitty in, wrapped in a blanket. I took her e-collar off and scratched her all over her neck, chin, cheeks, and head. She seemed a little perkier today than she did yesterday (when I actually thought she might die at any moment). I held her and talked to her and stroked her for about half an hour, and then I had to leave to go home and let Bucky out.

I don't know if I'll be able to visit her tomorrow. At least I can't go right after work, because I'll have a full day tomorrow so I'll have to go right home to let Bucky out. But if James wants to see her when he gets home (kind of on the late side), I'll go with him.

When I got home, Bucky was doing good. He hadn't eaten any more food, but he hadn't had an "accident," either. Poor guy. I hope the medicine is helping - he'll get another dose before bed tonight. I'm hoping Kitty is comfortable at the hospital. Not that I want her to be there, but it's a relief to know she is being well taken care of.

No comments: