Sunday, May 4, 2008

At MedVet

I went to see Dr. Forman at MedVet on Tuesday morning, April 29. He was honest with Jenny & James and said that I might be in renal failure (!). He said he thought I might be a “stone former” and over the years I had probably had a succession of kidney stones, each one damaging my kidney(s) a tiny bit more. He mentioned the possibility of using a feeding tube to get my strength up, but didn’t elaborate. Jenny & James left me at MedVet for an ultrasound, blood pressure test, and more bloodwork. When the doctor called James later in the day he said they’d like to keep me overnight. Sigh.

Then on Wednesday the doctor spoke to James and said he’d like to put in a feeding tube to get me “over the hump,” and James gave his consent. When James told Jenny this, she was imagining that they would put a tube in through my mouth and down my throat, and keep me in the hospital for a few days with some kind of mild sedation. She honestly had no idea that the tube would be inserted into my stomach through my abdominal wall, that it would stay in place for 3-4 weeks at least, and that they’d take me home and need to feed me through the tube 3 times a day!

Jenny & James visited me at MedVet after work on Wednesday. I was still in the ICU coming around after my feeding tube insertion. I was in an oxygen cage and still feeling pretty woozy, but I was glad to see them.

No comments: