Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Day 41

Tuesday, June 10

Well, my trip to MedVet this afternoon was somewhat of a joke. Jenny didn’t even get to see Dr. Forman! They took me in the back to draw blood and she waited for me in the waiting room. After a while they called her to pay the bill – she protested that I wasn’t even done yet, but they wanted to get it taken care of. Jenny waited a little longer after she paid the bill, and then a tech she had never met before (Joy) brought me out to her in my carrier.

Jenny had hoped to talk to Dr. Forman about quality-of-life issues (whatever that means), but since it will take a couple of days to get the results of my kidney tests back, she figured she could wait and talk to him then. She did need to ask the tech for a medication refill, syringes, material to make me another tank top, etc. The tech asked if she was still giving me aluminum hydroxide (for my phosphorous levels), and Jenny said she didn’t think we’d ever gotten any aluminum hydroxide to give me. So they gave me a bottle of that, too. Then Jenny owed another $11.00, which luckily she could pay in cash.

Since I weighed only 5.0 lbs. (where is all that food going? I’m not throwing up that much!), they told Jenny to increase my feedings to 70 mL’s (three times a day), then 80, and then 90 (over a week's time). They gave her a couple more 35 mL syringes and a couple of 60 mL syringes, but when we got home and Jenny went to get me my dinner, she removed the 35 mL syringes from their cases and saw that the tips were wrong – too big to fit into my feeding tube. The 60’s were the same way. So now she’ll have to make another trip to MedVet to get what I need.

Plus it turns out that we did have aluminum hydroxide at home, but when James had picked it up he was told to only give it to me after I started eating on my own, so clearly the hospital was a little mixed up about their own instructions. Jenny & James are starting to find MedVet a bit annoying…

No comments: