Thursday, August 14, 2008

Day 106

Thursday, August 14

On Friday, the 100th day since I got my feeding tube, I saw Dr. Forman for a check-up. My weight at MedVet was 6 lbs., 2 oz.! He's really pleased with how I'm doing. The next step is to see if I'll start to eat on my own if Jenny & James feed me less through my tube. Dr. Forman says that my weight is so good that I can afford to lose a little bit, if that's what it takes to get me eating again.

This week I'm down from 90 mL's three times a day to 70 mL's three times a day. I don't seem to be hungry yet. Tomorrow I'll drop to 50 mL's three times a day. Jenny & James can't wait to get me down to two feedings a day!

Even if I don't start eating on my own again, two feedings would be much more manageable (for me and them). There's also the option of having a different kind of PEG tube inserted, designed for long-term use (the length of tubing would detach when I wasn't being fed, so that I'd just have the plug in my side - no long tube to flop around, and no shirt to keep a long tube out of the way!).

But of course, the ideal scenario would be for me to get hungry and eat my k/d kibble again. I used to eat a little bit now & then right after my tube was inserted, so hopefully I enjoy the taste and sensation and I'll go back to it once I get hungry enough. Jenny bought a new bag so the food is nice & fresh.

The next few weeks are make-it-or-break-it-time, so wish me luck!

No comments: